Monday, January 12, 2009

This is your brain on urbanity.

I came across this great article that discusses the affect of living in an urban setting on the human psyche. It's interesting to me (and pertinent to this blog) because it helped me make sense of something I've noticed here: everybody looks exhausted all the time here. You see people who are clearly teenagers sitting on the subway with deep bags under their eyes like they're in their 40's. And no matter how much I sleep here I always just feel tired and like I can't think clearly. The article discusses studies that show that an uninterrupted urban environment literally hiders brain function because of the constant negative distractions.

Definitely worth a read: How the city hurts your brain.

I think I'm going to try and take a trip out of the city sometime soon. :)

No comments: